Funding FAQS > BIA Q&A
- How many regional offices does BIA have?
- How many employees are on the BIA-WRO staff?
- How often does your Regional Director have workshops or updates on funding, planning, projects or do you leave that to your Roads Manager who is often too busy?
- Does the BIA have to have right of way before a road can be placed on the BIA system?
- Can the BIA 5704 form be changed to show functional classification for BIA and state systems for the same route or segment?
- What about BIA contracts?
- Does the BIA get involved in IGAs with other entities?
- Is there a mechanism for BIA to obtain Motor Vehicle Crash (MVC) data from Tribal/BIA Police Departments?
- Can more current injury data be included in the project selection and programming process?
- Do tribes have access to traffic safety data and how can it be obtained?
- Where does the BIA get their funding to maintain the highway?
- How much does the Navajo-BIA get for construction? Is there any other funding that it gets?
- Does Navajo contract through 638, have a share on the BIA's 6% administrative operation?
- Where does BIA fit into FHWA funding processes?
- Where does BIA funding come from?
- Please provide some detail on the Indian "Restoration" Program.
- What amount of money is allocated for the 41 tribes in the BIA Western Region?
- Why is it that the Western Regional Office notifies tribes at the last minute for available funding?
- If BIA funding is so limited, why is it used on state highways?
- How informed are your tribal leaders in BIA roads? How often do you visit the tribes that you represent to try to have forums with them and the state regarding funding?
- When and how are transit projects considered by BIA? There are only three tribal transit systems within the state.
Indian Reservation Roads Program (IRRP)
- Why are not all tribal projects in the TIP by (BIA) WRO?
- Where does the BIA plan go after approval – to get funded?
- After the BIA plan is submitted/approved by FHWA, how does it get funded? Does it flow into the ADOT LRP?
- How does BIA IRR accommodate transit systems?
- Why doesn't BIA provide more or better communication of laws, regulations, and policies?
- What are other IRR funds?
- Define IRR System.
- Why are Federal Lands Highway Program (FLHP) and Indian Reservation Roads (IRR) program jointly administered?
- Rural tribes have expressed concern over not having equipment. Can BIA assist with this? Graders are needed for maintenance of the roads.
- How do ADOT and BIA interact at the interface of each other's roads?
- Local trucking has increased through SR 264 into Low Mountain…what can be done to help the BIA improve this road (60N) to safety?
- Could the BIA contribute to a joint partnering with ADOT (e.g. BIA to provide the survey, archeological and environmental studies) if ADOT did the construction?
- Where can the public get information on the BIA long-range transportation plans?
- Have the Tribal Long Range (20 Year) Transportation Plans been taken into consideration by the State long range transportation plan study?
- Can transportation-planning funds be used for staff?
- Does BIA have transportation plans available to ADOT? Expand distribution list to include district engineers.
- Do MPO/COGs have input on BIA planning process?
STIP and TTIP
- STIP - Why hasn't the BIA become actively involved?
- When are tribal TIPs due to BIA?
- Do you ever have amendments to your TIP? I have never seen or am not aware of any that have been processed.
- Do the Tribal Council and/or ITCA approve the TIPs? Is there a formal rating criterion?
- Do tribes participate in various training (LTAP program)?
- Can BIA road maintenance training be offered?
- What technical assistance does WRO Roads provide to tribes regarding transit and mobility?